Over the last week we’ve been hearing numerous stories of friends, family members and loved ones of Thrive Tribe getting impacted by what’s happening to the air in Delhi. With crop burning and Diwali crackers, the air in Delhi and surrounding areas is now a poisonous mix of particulate matter, volatile organic compounds, carbon monoxide, sulphur oxide, nitrogen oxide, cadmium and other chemicals and heavy metals.
How do these affect your health?
Particulate matter(PM) is a complex mixture of extremely small particles and liquid droplets. These when inhaled affects both the heart and lungs, numerous studies have proven the negative impact of PM on your heart and lung health.
Volatile Organic Compounds or VOC’s are carcinogenic in nature and can trigger genetic mutation at a cellular level
Carbon monoxide can cause dizziness, sweating, restlessness, visual distortion, nausea and even loss of consciousness
Sulphur oxide and Nitrogen oxide are both irritants and can irritate mucus layers in your eyes, nose, throat and respiratory tract which explains why everyone’s eyes are burning
Apart from this, this air can also impact your cognitive ability- your ability to think and work productively. Your brain needs oxygen to function optimally, and when you are breathing poisons instead of oxygen it starts creating symptoms like excessive irritability, anger, and loss of productivity.
Of course, this (the Gas Chamber called Delhi) is a monstrosity that we have created and it teaches us there really are no limits to human stupidity.
However, now that the problem is created and damage is being done, here are some solutions from Thrive to help you get through this situation and allow your body to heal.
STEP 1 Create as much clean breathable air around you as possible
- Invest in a good quality air purifier at least for your bedroom– this is where you spend the longest time and sleep is when your body is naturally in a recovery mode. Ensure that you are breathing clean air in this room. Get a H12 or H13 HEPA filter with a Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) of 2 at medium speed. Ensure it has a carbon filter that weighs at least 500 gms. Pick one that has a noise level below 50 DB at medium speed with a washable pre-filter. If it has sensors to indicate Air quality then that’s even better. Keep the air purifier on for as long as there are people in the room.
- Bring in indoor plants, they are a gift from this planet to us. They remove pollutants by absorbing harmful gases and VOC’s and create clean air for us. The best ones to get are Money plant ( Five 8 inch pots per person), Areca Palm (Four shoulder high plants per person), Snake Plant (Six plants per person), Bamboo (Four shoulder high plants)
- Avoid lighting agarbattis, using candles and room fresheners and loose powders- these add to indoor air pollution
- Wear a good quality air mask when outdoors
Step 2 Ensure you eat food that heals and regenerates your body
- Please ensure you buy as much organic produce as possible
- Eat brightly colored fruits and vegetables- and we mean really colorful
– dark green leafy vegetables like spinach, kale and arugula
– yellow orange vegetables like carrots, pumpkins, bell peppers,
– all fruits, with extra special focus on fresh/ frozen berries.
– eat as much raw as you can
– Lots of amla/ gooseberries- has extremely bio-available Vitamin C
– eat sprouts
3. Have Coriander- Parsley chutney, both these herbs pull out heavy metals and toxins from your body. Please WhatsApp us on 7796692504 for the recipe
4. Avoid animal products, especially dairy in all forms. These are loaded with toxins and hormones that are anyway bad for your health. Plus animal protein creates inflammation in the human body even in a healthy environment.And it’s really high in fat which overloads your liver (your primary organ for detox). So do yourselves a favour and avoid all animal products if not forever then at least until the air clears up a bit.
5. Avoid excess fat in your diet– refined oils, ghee, too many nuts and seeds. There are two reasons for this, one- the liver is the primary organ involved in fat metabolism and in a normally functioning system this is what the liver is supposed to do- process fat. But when you are overexposed to toxins and poisons from your environment then the liver takes on the burden of having to remove these toxins from your body and dietary fat at a time like this can clog up the liver and create a build up of toxins in your system. Secondly, heavy metals can get oxidized into harmful oxidative molecules in the presence of fat, these then cause cellular damage that results in disease.
Step 3: Supplement with nutrients that support respiratory and cardiovascular health and act as antioxidants in your body.
- Vitamin C
Please WhatsApp us on 7796692504 for which ones for dosages and brand recommendations
Step 4: Bring in the healing power of herbs and herbal teas
- Nettle leaf tea
- Lemon balm tea
- Thrive’s Healing tea- This is an incredibly healing tea, please WhatsApp us on 7796692504 for the recipe
- Lomatium root
Step 5: Practice breath work
If you have a regular breath work practice like Pranayam, you could continue with it. IF you don’t have one, then this one by Soma Breath is absolutely incredible. Click here for a link to the Breath meditation
Implement these 5 steps, and we guarantee you will breathe a little easier despite the pollution. If you need to learn more or need help with specific symptoms, please reach out to us and we’ll be more than happy to help.